How to report an abandoned vehicle.
What is an abandoned vehicle?
A vehicle is considered abandoned when it has been parked on a public road and has been unwarranted / unregistered for 31 days or more.
How do I report an abandoned vehicle?
Please ring the Council. Queenstown 03 441 0499 or Wanaka 03 443 0024. Make sure you can provide the following information about the vehicle:
- Make (what kind of car is it?)
- Whether or not it is registered or warranted.
- Has it been wrecked or burnt?
- Does it still have 4 wheels?
- Is the registration plate still attached?
- The exact location of the vehicle.
- How long has the car been in that location?
What happens after I have reported an abandoned vehicle?
- All reports of abandoned vehicles are investigated by our contractor within 24 hours.
- A notice is placed on the vehicle, giving the owner 48 hours to remove it if the contractor agrees that it is potentially abandoned.
- A photo is taken of the vehicle.
- The contractor returns to the location after 48 hours to check if the vehicle is still there.
- If the vehicle remains in the location it will be removed.
What happens to the vehicle once it has been towed?
- The contractor will assess the vehicle and try to indentify the owner.
- Where appropriate, the contractor will have the owner take responsibility for the vehicle, including any costs incurred.
- Police are notified of all cars towed.