The QLDC Events Office is the first point of contact for producers of new and existing events.
We are happy to assist event organisers with advisory, co-ordination and facilitation services as well as all funding and support enquiries to QLDC.
Events Funding Rounds
In February 2015, the Council reviewed its Events Strategy including objectives and criteria for funding and support for events. Information on the purpose of this funding, and key considerations when applications are evaluated is detailed in the Events Strategy and can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page.
Event funding application dates for commercial and community events are listed below.
Please contact the Events Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 441 0499 as early as possible to discuss your event funding application for commercial and local community events.
The information contained in your funding application will be treated as confidential by the QLDC. The material submitted for the funding assessment process will be treated as “commercially sensitive material” and therefore will be held in confidence.
When to apply
The annual funding round for the QLDC Events Fund is held each April. Applications for events taking place any time between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018 must be submitted no later than 30 April 2017. Before submitting a funding application event organisers must contact the QLDC Event Office to discuss their application.
Timeframes for the next funding round are as follows:
Events between 1 July 2017 - 30 June 2018
Applications Open 1 April 2017
Applications Close 30 April 2017
Decision Announced by 1 July 2017
- Identify, secure and support one new Major Economic Event for the district that will attract over 10,000 incremental visitors / $10m economic benefit per annum – one off or recurring.
- Support development of one existing Major Economic Event to grow incremental visitation to 10,000 plus visitors / $10m economic benefit per event per annum.
- Identify and support one new or developing Major Economic Event annually – priority to recurring events (2,500 plus visitors / $2.5m plus in economic benefit) per annum.
- Identify and support one new Niche Event – can be one off, annual or biennial (1,000 plus visitors / $1m plus in economic benefit) per annum.
- Support development of two new Major Community Events per annum.
- Encourage the development of events in shoulder seasons.
- Support development of one Local Community Event to achieve Major Community or Major Economic Status per annum.
- Continue to support Local Community Events both financially and in-kind.
- Provide facility to support events in need on a case-by-case / one-off basis.
Please complete the Commercial Event Application Form (PDF, 2MB) for:
- Major Economic Events – yielding high levels of tourism, media coverage and economic impact (i.e. 2,500-10,000+ visitors or $2.5m - $20m+ direct incremental economic benefit)
- Niche Economic Events – targeted appeal (i.e. 1,000-2,500 visitors or $1m - $5m direct incremental economic benefit)
- Major Community Events – large scale community events and festivals
Please complete the Local Community Event Application Form (PDF, 3MB) for:
- Community events – local or regional attraction with targeted appeal, requesting support over $5,000
Local community events applying for $5,000 or less can apply annually, at any time. Please see the Local Community Support section below.
Information and media releases on past funding rounds can be viewed here:
- QLDC Announces Funding for Major Events (2 July 2015)
- Events Funding - Applications Now Open (9 April 2015)
- QLDC Confirms Support for Major Events (2 July 2014)
- Applications Open for Event Funding (7 April 2014)
- QLDC Events Funding Approved (12 March 2014)
- QLDC Approves $315,000 in Events Funding (26 September 2013)
- First Funding Round Announced (14 August 2013)
- Events Funding Round to Open (28 June 2013)
For queries, please phone 03 441 0499 or email email@example.com
Support for Local Community and requests under $5,000 can include costs of QLDC resources (i.e. QLDC owned and managed venue and reserves hire, QLDC equipment hire, QLDC regulatory and permitting fees or deposits). It does not cover bond payments, insurance, special licence fees, associated costs* (i.e. waste, labour and cleaning) or fully fund any activity.
*Select associated costs are included in the hire price and therefore eligible for support. Exceptions will be identified in your Hire Agreement.
Please complete our Local Community Support form or contact the Events Office to discuss.
If your request is for an amount of $1,000 or more you may be asked to provide budget information for your event.
If you would like to request support towards the cost of a QLDC venue or QLDC equipment hire please contact the relevant person below to obtain a quote.
Events Centre, Lake Hayes Pavilion, Arrowtown Athenaeum Hall bookings: Jaime Sands - firstname.lastname@example.org - +64 3 450 9109
Queenstown Memorial Centre: Deborah Husheer - Deborah.Husheer@qldc.govt.nz - +64 3 450 9111
Lake Wanaka Centre: Christine Schafer at LWC@qldc.govt.nz - +64 3 443 4173
This quote will be required to complete the requested amount on the Local Community Support form. You will receive a letter of confirmation from the Events Office to be attached to your Hire Agreement and noted for invoicing.
- Event Information Form (579KB)
- Events Strategy (1.37MB)
- Funding Application for Event Organisers: Local Community Events (852KB)
- Funding Application: Commercial Events (864KB)