Fire Permits

Find out about fire restrictions and how to get a fire permit in the Queenstown Lakes District.

Rural Fire Administration and Control in Otago is changing:

  • Since November 2009, the Rural Fire Authorities within Otago have engaged in discussions to merge the Otago region into one Rural Fire Authority.  
  • In late-2013 all primary Rural Fire Authorities in the Otago region approved the proposal.
  • On 16 April 2014, the Fire Service Commission acting as the National Rural Fire Authority (NRFA) confirmed the establishment of the Otago Rural Fire District effective 1st July 2014.  
  • The new Fire Authority will take over all the rural fire functions of the five territorials within Otago and the Department of Conservation.


Why change Rural Fire in Otago?

The merger of Rural Fire Authorities into the Otago Rural Fire Authority is important because it provides opportunities to improve the delivery of rural fire services across the region. These services include permit issue, training, succession planning and risk management across the region.


How does this affect me as a landowner?

The Otago Rural Fire Authority is now responsible for ensuring the requirements of the Forest and Rural Fires Act 1977 and the Forest and Rural Fires Regulations 2005. Please contact the Otago Rural Fire Authority for any questions regarding permitting, rural fire volunteers or rural fire control.


Thinking about burning? 

You may need a Fire Permit.

To check if you require a fire permit following the 1st July 2014, contact the Otago Rural Fire Authority. They will take your details and explain the process. There is no charge for a fire permit.



Otago Rural Fire Authority
PO Box 5400

0800 673-473

Report Fires

If you notice a fire or smoke, call 111 and ask for the Fire Service.