We welcome responsible campers who are prepared to look after our environment and follow some simple rules.
- Download the Freedom Camping Zone Maps (PDF, 2.96MB)
- Freedom Camping Flyer (PDF, 324KB)
- Freedom Camping in the Queenstown Lakes District (PDF, 2.2MB)
If your campervan is fully self contained (with a toilet, waste water and rubbish facilities on-board) then you may camp overnight for free on most land administered by Council away from the town centres and residential areas. There is some public land including DoC reserves which are excluded. Observe all no camping signs.
- Please check the map above for clarification -
In return you must:
- Be away from the town centres and residential areas within the district.
- Dispose of your waste water at one of the waste disposal dump stations and dump your rubbish at the Council transfer stations or dump stations (locations shown in the sidebar of this page).
- Not light any fire.
- Leave the area as you found it, free of litter.
- Stay a maximum of two nights
Freedom camping in the No Freedom Camping Zones is not permitted and is likely to result in an infringement notice for which a fine of $200 is payable.
If you do not have a fully self contained campervan then you cannot freedom camp anywhere in the Queenstown Lakes District and must stay in a camping ground if you wish to camp. Freedom camping without a self-contained campervan will result in a $200 instant fine.
Camping Grounds and Conservation Campsites
There are many camping grounds within the Queenstown Lakes District including low cost camps with toilets and running water through to holiday parks with hot showers and cooking facilities. It is best to book these over the popular holiday periods.
- Department of Conservation Website - Info on conservation campsites around the Queenstown Lakes District
Freedom Camping Bylaw
The new Freedom Camping Bylaw became active on 19 December 2012.
- Wanaka Showgrounds, corner of Brownston and Mcdougall Street
- Arrowtown - Corner of Wiltshire Street and Ramshaw Lane
- Lakeview Holiday Park, 6 Cemetery Road, Queenstown
- BP Service Station, Frankton Road, State Highway 6
- Dump Stations throughout New Zealand outside Queenstown Lakes District