Peter Fraser Park

The land for this park, named for New Zealand’s second Labour Prime Minister Peter Fraser, was donated by former Hawea man Claude Capell.



Myra Street, Wanaka



Toilets available icon      Tennis courts icon      Bowling icon    Children's playground icon



Born in Taranaki in 1882, Claude Capell developed Hawea’s earliest tourism venture by establishing a fishing lodge on the eastern bank of the Hawea River in 1923. Capell’s guest list often reflected his strong Labour Party affiliation. The most famous of his clients included the Duke of York in 1927 and the honourable Peter Fraser.

Capell was a great ideas man and is credited today for having been influential in the establishment of the Rabbit Board (Rabbit Boards were Government agencies charged with reducing the population of rabbits which were introduced to NZ and quickly bred up in numbers of pest proportions) and promoting the construction of a road from the West Coast via the Haast Pass.

Descendents of Capell continue to live in Hawea and many of the town’s street names can be linked to the family including, Elizabeth Street, Flora Dora Parade, Myra Street and Noema Terrace. Capell died in Cromwell hospital in his 93rd year.