St Omer Park
This park is named after Francois St Omer, early Queenstown settler, town baker, councillor, mayor and a man of trees.
Central Queenstown waterfront.
Francois St Omer was born in Marseilles, France in 1827 and as a young man followed the gold rushes to California, Victoria Australia and then on to Queenstown, arriving in 1863. He purchased a bakery and restaurant business, which he ran up until his death in 1915. St Omer was heavily involved in town affairs being a councillor for 11 years and the mayor for 14 years. He also served on a number of organisations and was a generous benefactor.
In 1863 the local landscape was very barren and devoid of trees. St Omer sought to rectify this by initially planting ‘weeping willow’ trees around the edge of the lake in Queenstown Bay and along with his son Frank, and Lewis Hotop the chemist, planted amenity trees all around Queenstown. After Francois’ death, the tree planting work was continued by Frank, a lover of trees and birds who left his estate to the Borough Council for the beautification of Queenstown.
- Toilets available nearby
- No vehicles on the reserve
- Dogs must be under control at all times
- BBQ and picnic areas available