Everything you need to know about recycling services and facilities in the Wakatipu.
Kerbside Recycling Collection Days
Please put your recycling wheelie bin out by 8am on your normal rubbish day.
The following materials can go into your recycling wheelie bin:
- Plastics 1-7. Washed, not squashed and lids off.
- Steel tins and aluminium cans. Washed.
- Empty aerosol cans.
- Clean aluminium foil.
- Glass bottles and jars. Washed with the lids off (the lids can also go in the recycling container).
- Clean paper and cardboard. For example office paper, magazines, newspaper, egg cartons, cereal boxes, envelopes.
- Plastic bags or glad wrap.
- Pesticides, oil or hazardous chemicals.
- Pyrex, ceramics, window glass or broken glass.
- Materials contaminated with food.
- Plastic or metal binding.
- Wax coated or foil lined cartons, for example milk or juice cartons.
If you have extra recyclables that don't fit in the wheelie bin - please drop them off at Wakatipu Recycling Centre
Wakatipu Recycling Centre
The Wakatipu Recycling Centre is operated by Smart Environmental. Visit their website for more information.
Glenda Drive, Frankton Industrial Estate.
Phone 03 451 0105
Open 8 am to 5 pm, 7 days a week
The Wakatipu Recycling Centre also accepts:
- used mineral oil*
- used batteries
- compact fluorescent light bulbs (there is a fee of $1.50 for each bulb)
* Only engine oil and machinery lubricating oil will be accepted. No oil mixed with fuel or cooking oil will be accepted. Please ask for assistance if you are dropping off oil.
Please note that the Wakatipu Recycling Centre does not accept any electronic waste.
Does the Wakatipu Recycling Centre have a re-use shop?
Yes! The Wakatipu Recycling Centre's ‘re-use’ shop accepts items that are in working order and good condition. Items for sale include second hand goods such as furniture, bedding, clothes, electrical items, books and sports equipment.
Wakatipu Recycling Centre Tour Visits
If you would like to book a tour or get further information please phone the Council on 03 441 0499 (Queenstown) or 03 443 0024 (Wanaka).