The Council is committed to working with schools all around the District to make the school journey safer and healthier for everyone.
Car trips to school add to traffic congestion, parking hassles, safety issues and air pollution. Many children would rather walk or cycle to school, especially with their friends.
School Travel Plans are currently underway at these local schools:
- Hawea Flat Primary School
- Wanaka Primary and Holy Family Schools combined
- Remarkables Primary School
- Arrowtown Primary School
The solution - a school travel plan!
The Council helps schools to develop travel plans to improve travel choices for children throughout the District.
- What is a school travel plan? (747KB)
A School Travel Plan is a series of practical steps the school and the Council can undertake together to promote healthy and sustainable transport options and improve children’s safety on the journey to and from school.
School travel plan actions can include:
- Road safety education
- Traffic calming measures
- Parking restrictions
- Improving footpaths and cycleways
- Promoting carpooling, walking, cycling and public transport.
Benefits of a school travel plan
- Increased health and fitness of school children
- Fewer car trips to school
- Less traffic congestion and air pollution
- Stronger communities
- More opportunities to meet new friends.
For more information and advice on School Travel Plans, please contact the Council on 03 441 0499 Queenstown or 03 443 0024 Wanaka.