Urban Design is about more than just the way individual buildings or space looks – but about the atmosphere it creates.
Specifically urban design is:
- The art of creating spaces and buildings that encourage positive interaction with people.
- The design of buildings, groups of buildings, spaces and landscapes.
- The relationship between people and these environments.
- Creating places that "fit" in to the local environment.
- Enhancing neighbourhood identity, for example the way it relates to its neighbours and the surrounding neighbourhood.
- The ability to provide the types of spaces that are functional and inviting to people of all ages.
The benefits of good urban design include:
- The ability to create delightful and unique places to live.
- Maintaining special characteristics of our towns and rural areas.
- High quality living and working environments.
- Making towns more distinctive.
- Helping to address issues such as climate change and biodiversity.
- Helping to make places safer.
- Assisting to promote the development of healthier, more efficient homes.