Everything you need to know about recycling services in Wanaka.
Kerbside Recycling Collection Days
Please put your recycling crate out by 8am on your normal rubbish day.
All residentially rated properties now have 2 black recycling crates for the following recyclable materials :
- Glass bottles and jars only. Washed with the lids off.
- Plastics 1-7. Washed, squashed and lids off.
- Tins and aluminium cans and foil. Washed and squashed.
- Paper and cardboard items. For example office paper, magazines, newspaper, egg cartons, cereal boxes.
*Newspaper and small bits of cardboard can be tied or placed in plastic bags to stop it blowing away. Place this on top of your other recyclables to hold them down.
Please ensure you separate your recyclables with glass in one crate and all other recyclables in the other. This will ensure the best value is obtained from each product recycled and helps speed up the collection process.
- Drinking glasses
- Ceramics, crockery and porcelain
- Computers and electronics
- Disposable nappies
- Expanded polystyrene
- Food waste
- Garden waste
- Hot ashes
- Lightbulbs (normal or eco)
- Meat trays
- Plastic shopping bags
- Paint or chemicals
- Plastic film
- Window or windscreen glass
Wanaka Wastebusters recycling centre
Wanaka Wastebusters is located on the corner of Ballantyne Rd and Riverbank Rd. The recycling centre opening hours are 8am-5.30pm, seven days a week (closed on Christmas Day, Easter Friday and the morning of ANZAC day). Wanaka Wastebusters is a community enterprise which uses any profits to support the community and minimise waste.
You can drop off for recycling:
- household recycling (plastics 1-7, cans, glass bottles, paper and cardboard), $1 charge
- whiteware (sorry, no fridges or freezers), $10 charge
- electronics (including TVs, computers, printers, cell phones), various charges apply
- scrap metal
- used engine oil and machine lubricating oil
- used vegetable oil (free collection service for restaurants and take-away bars)
- used batteries
- compact fluorescent light bulbs
- printer cartridges
- shrink wrap (clean plastic wrap with identified as number 4 plastic)
- reusable glass bottles (Emersons, Green Man, Speights/ABC swappa-crate)
Wanaka Wastebusters e-Cycle depot:
Wanaka Wastebusters recycle old computers and other electronic equipment including cell phones. They are part of the RCN e-Cycle network of e-Cycle depots around the country. A charge applies to cover the cost of safe electronics recycling.
Please note that televisions can no longer be recycled at either Wanaka or Queenstown locations.
Wanaka Wastebusters business and events recycling:
Wanaka Wastebusters run a business recycling collections service in Wanaka, and also do the recycling and waste management at events in the Southern Lakes area. Please call (03) 443-8606 x 5 or go to the Wanaka Wastebusters website to find out more.
Does the Wanaka Wastebusters Recycling Centre have a re-use shop?
Yes! The Wanaka Wastebusters ‘re-store’ shop accepts items that are in working order and good condition for resale. Items for sale include second hand goods such as furniture, bedding, clothes, electrical items, books, building materials and sports equipment. They offer a free pick-up service for donations of household goods and furniture, call (03) 443 8606 x 2.
Out by 8!
Please make sure your rubbish and recycling is out on the kerb before 8am on your rubbish day.