Proposed Cemeteries Bylaw
Submissions are now closed. A summary of submissions will be available online shortly.
We have undertaken a review of the current Cemeteries Bylaw 2010 and supporting document, the Cemetery Operating Procedures, to consider the making of a replacement bylaw once the current one expires in March 2016.
Key components of the proposed bylaw include:
- Prohibit certain potentially harmful activities within Council cemeteries (eg. preventing persons from carrying out unauthorised interments, interrupting funeral processions, or causing nuisances).
- Require permission from Council to authorise particular activities in Council cemeteries, such as promotional activities or commercial photography of funeral processions.
- Clarify the role and appointment of sextons and cemetery administrators, who are involved in operating Council cemeteries.
- Require permission from Council to be sought to authorise monumental masonry work at Council cemeteries.
We invite you to read the proposed new bylaw and supporting documents which outlines the proposal and the reasoning.
- Statement of Proposal Summary (84KB)
- Statement of Proposal (117KB)
- Proposed Cemeteries Bylaw 2016 (209KB)
- QLDC Cemeteries Handbook (255KB)
- QLDC Cemetary Operating Procedures (93KB)
- Cemetery Bylaw 2010 (91KB)
Make a Submission
Any person or organisation is welcome to make a submission, and we encourage everyone with an interest to do so.
Submissions close on 27 January 2017. All submissions will be treated as public information, and your name and comments will be publicly available, however we will not disclose your contact details.
For further information please contact our Customer Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 441 0499