Signage for events
Temporary Event Signage Rules
A temporary event sign means any sign established for the purpose of advertising or announcing a single forthcoming temporary event, function or occurrence including carnivals, fairs, galas, market days, meetings, exhibitions, parades, rallies, filming, sporting and cultural events, concerts, shows, musical and theatrical festivals and entertainment; but does not include electioneering signs, real estate signs, construction signs, a land development sign, off-site sign or temporary sale sign.
Signage rules for temporary events:
- Established no more than two months prior to the date of the event;
- Have an area no greater than 2m², or 3m² if a Banner;
- Are removed within 24 hours of completion of the event;
- Are limited to two signs fronting any State Highway and two signs fronting other roads;
- Must be for the purpose of advertising or announcing a single forthcoming temporary event;
- Are located on the site that the event is to be held on; and
- Are not located within the road reserve.
Please contact a Duty Planner on 03 441 0499 (Queenstown) or 03 443 0024 (Wanaka) to discuss options and requirements for event signage.
Banners and Flags
We manage a range of banner and event signage opportunities within the Lakes District using the street lighting infrastructure and purpose built Council controlled structures for the promotion of events. Bookings are essential for all flag and banner sites. Our sites include:
Banner over Horne Creek – Queenstown
Streetlight Flags – Queenstown
Streetlight Flags – Wanaka
Event Sign at Wanaka Show grounds – Wanaka
For equipment hire or banner and flag site bookings, please contact your local Booking Coordinator: