- Home >
New Board Appointed
- Dec 20, 2007
A new board has been appointed to the Council Controlled Organisation (CCO) that will eventually take over the management of leisure facilities in the Queenstown Lakes District, QLDC Mayor Clive Geddes said.
Earlier this year the council voted to form the CCO and appoint a board of directors. The company will be officially formed early next year.
The management model is based on a new style of leisure management, being used nationally and internationally, pooling the management of recreation reserves, arts facilities, aquatic centres and generally any community-owned facilities revolving around leisure pursuits.
"Initially the board will take over the management of the Queenstown Events Centre, the Lake Wanaka Centre and the new Queenstown Aquatic Centre, which is due to be finished in May, next year," Mr Geddes said.
The board of directors would govern the new structure and recently appointed chief executive Roger Coleman would oversee the management of all facilities. The new board is:
- Queenstown barrister, Milford Community Trust chairman, Jane Taylor (chairman).
- Wanaka businessman, former H and J Smith director and chairman of the Upper Clutha Sports and Recreation group, Mike Saunders.
- Queenstown businessman and former Queenstown Events Centre trustee, Peter Faul.
- Christchurch businessman, Sports Fitness and Recreation Industry Training Organisation chairman, Fitness New Zealand chief executive and director and Manukau Leisure Services board member, Richard Beddie.
- Queenstown businessman and former Queenstown Events Centre Trust chairman Jeff Turner.
"I congratulate the new board and look forward to the implementation of the new structure, which I have no doubt will benefit our communities into the future," Mr Geddes said.
Meanwhile the establishment of the new structure meant the Queenstown Event Centre Trust would come to a close.
"It's been more than a decade since the trust was established and it is essential to give credit and recognition to all those that have served on the body, making the Events Centre the success it is today. The trust has done an outstanding job," Mr Geddes said.
With the inclusion of QEC former trustee Peter Faul and former chairman Jeff Turner, it was good to have some continuity between the outgoing and incoming boards, he said.
"I would also like to take this opportunity to pass on my thanks to all those who expressed interest in a board position, all candidates were of an extremely high calibre," Mr Geddes said.
For further information please contact Clive Geddes or Paul Wilson 03 441 0499