- Home >
Heart of the District Award winners!
- May 28, 2010
The Queenstown Lakes District Council is delighted to congratulate the winners named at the eighth Queenstown Lakes District Heart of the District Awards, held at Wanaka.
“We received a record number of nominations and it is genuinely heartwarming to experience the depth of community spirit that is alive and well in our district,” QLDC arts and events facilitator Jan Maxwell said.
Each and every finalist was acknowledged by the crowd at the Lake Wanaka Centre and by the Council, receiving a native tree before the winners for the six categories were announced. “Every single person showcased this evening deserves our thanks and appreciation,” Mrs Maxwell said.
The 2010 Heart of the District Award recipients were:
- Business – The QLDC Wanaka Horticulture and Street Cleaning Team.
- Social and cultural – David Giles, Kingston, Peg Walker, Queenstown (2 joint winners).
- Environmental and heritage – Taylor Reed, Arrowtown.
- Landscape and urban design – Baxter Design Group, Queenstown.
- Arts - Alexa Forbes, Queenstown.
- Youth – Hannah James, Wanaka.
“Mayor Clive Geddes also elected to make two Civic Awards, which were also announced tonight and awarded in his absence by Deputy Mayor John Wilson,” Mrs Maxwell said. The Civic Awards were bestowed on a small number of individuals and recognised a lifetime of commitment.
The Civic Award recipients were:
- Glen Reid, Queenstown – Wakatipu Rugby Club Captain, Pelican Cricket Team Manager, Lifetime member of Showbiz Queenstown.
- John Turnbull, Wanaka – Conservationist, Forest and Bird Society Branch Chairman.
For Further information please contact Jan Maxwell 027 233 7934 or Rebecca Pitts 027 229 4571.