Community Facilities Research
As a Council we're committed to building vibrant communities. As part of that, in conjunction with our partners we've undertaken a research project to better understand community groups and services, their current use of facilities, and their future demand for space.
Our district is facing a period of unprecedented growth. We're all very aware of the challenges this growth is causing for things like roads, parking and housing. We're also hearing more and more that our community groups, services and facilities are under pressure.
We have now completed a research project to allow us to better understand the opportunities and challenges that exist for community groups in our district particularly in relation to facilities. This data will be useful for all community groups, the Council and other funders to better plan for the future.
Our Community Spaces - a report on community facilities, groups and services
Thank you to all the groups across the district who participated in our community groups and facilities research. The survey responses and insights gathered from public meetings and interviews have resulted in a wealth of data. We have now completed the report, which is available to view as a PDF below.
If you'd like to read the findings in more detail, refer to the supplementary information also available below.
- Our Community Spaces - a report on community facilities, groups and services (PDF)
- Supplementary information (PDF)
If you would like to request a hard copy of the report, please contact email@example.com
Key ideas and opportunities
The report highlights findings about our local groups and services and outlines ideas and opportunities for meeting future community facility needs. The key ideas and opportunities are to:
- plan a more coordinated approach to community facility development
- take a networked approach to facility management
- build collaborative partnerships
- harness innovation and good design principles
- ensure council-owned facilities meet demand
- identify land for facility development
- explore and develop creative funding avenues
- Our Community Spaces Case Study Community hubs for social services (529.02 KB)
- Our Community Spaces Case Study Coworking spaces (180.57 KB)
- Our Community Spaces Case Study Luggate Memorial Hall (296.58 KB)
- Our Community Spaces Case Study The Arts community (529.01 KB)
Our Community Connect database provides a list of community groups and services operating in the Queenstown Lakes District.
Check out groups.qldc.govt.nz
- Queenstown Town Centre Masterplan
- Frankton Masterplan
- Wanaka Town Centre Masterplan
- Queenstown Events Centre and Wanaka Recreation Centre Masterplans
- Queenstown Lakes-Central Otago Regional Sport and Recreation Facility Strategy
- Luggate Hall
- Quality of Life Survey
Who do I contact for further information?
Please contact Marie Day, QLDC Senior Advisor, Community Liaison and Policy: firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 450 1732.
This research is led by the Queenstown Lakes District Council and sponsored by regional funders Central Lakes Trust, Community Trust South and the Otago Community Trust.