Alter Documents

Amendments and Minor Variations

There are two types of changes that can be made to building work under a Building Consent:

  • Amendments
  • Minor Variations

All proposed changes must comply with the Building Code. All implemented changes must comply with the Building Code.


What is an Amendment?

This is a proposed significant or major variation to a Building Consent.

Early spotting of this potential change to building work is very important. Whether it is for designers, builders and/or building owners.

Who needs to be notified?

Designers, builders and project managers should ensure the property owner and QLDC are informed of any proposed variations as soon as identified.

They can seek guidance from QLDC on how the variation can be handled.

Early identification and notification means QLDC can evaluate and make a decision earlier. This means work has a greater chance of staying on schedule.

What are examples of Amendments?

These include, but are not limited to a proposed:

  • Significant increase in the building footprint
  • Significant increase in the building envelope
  • Reduction in the number of units included in a multi-unit development
  • Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) application which will not include all units in a multi-unit development
  • Change of use
  • New PIM requirement (due to for example a significant time lapse, or new hazards identified)
  • Significant building work value change

How to apply for an Amendment?

Use the same form as for Building Consent applications, Form 2.

It requires details and supporting documentation justifying the proposed changes. These must show how the changes comply with the Building Code. Examples include calculations, schematics, technical specifications and drawings.

Along with Form 2, a newly filled out AF CALC Building Consent Initial Fee Calculator for needs to be supplied.

If there is to be no additional project cost associated with the change, use a nominal value of $1.

What happens after submitting an application?

Building work must cease on the area of work affected by the amendment until a decision has been made, and the change approval potentially issued and granted.

The application for the Amendment is reviewed initially. If what is provided is in the correct format and meets minimum requirements for processing, it will be assigned an 'AM' number e.g. AM190001.

What happens if an Amendment is approved?

To be specific, this means the Amendment is granted and issued.

Building work relating to the Amendment application can restart.

Stamped approved Amendments must be kept on site with the original building consent and available for the start of all building inspections.

All Amendments are reviewed for approval and completion when a CCC application is made for the original Building Consent.


Minor Variations

What is a Minor Variation?

This is a minor modification, addition, or variation to a Building Consent that does not deviate significantly from the Building Consent's plans and specifications.  

How to apply for a Minor Variation?

Use AF MV Application for Minor Variation to an Existing Building Consent and compile with relevant plans depicting the work involved. 

A fee may be payable. Refer to IS BCF Building Consent Initial Fees and Other Charges (above).

What could be examples of Minor Variations?

Examples of changes that may be considered as Minor Variations include, but are not limited to:

  • Changing a room's layout (for example, changing the position of fixtures in a bathroom or kitchen)
  • Substituting comparable products (for example, substituting one internal lining for a similar internal lining)
  • Minor wall bracing changes
  • Any changes (including structural changes) that do not significantly increase the value of the work
  • Changes that do not increase the footprint of the building

What is considered when processing?

The proposed variation is assessed for compliance with the Building Code, including the effect on compliance of other building work.

Minor changes can sometimes comply with the Building Code, but result in a lesser or greater degree of building performance. So it is important that the owner is aware of, and approves, the variation.

Where a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) has provided a Certificate of Design Work, the owner may have to engage the LBP to certify the variation.

QLDC has the discretion to accept/approve a Minor Variation application on site, where it does not affect the scope or compliance of the consented work.

Where a Minor Variation will not comply with the Building Code, the application will be refused and the owner/applicant advised.