Please note: A number of QLDC’s online services will be offline tonight (Friday 23 October) at 9.00pm for an estimated 30 to 60 minutes, due to an update to our internet connection.

Services affected by the outage include eDocs, Infringement Waivers and our GIS mapping systems.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Renew and/or vary your alcohol licence

If you are an alcohol licence holder, you must apply to renew your licence at least 20 working days before it expires.

Renewing your licence Varying your licence Forms

When to renew your alcohol licence

You must renew it:

  • 1 year after it's first issued.

  • every 3 years after that before the expiry date.

As your renewal date approaches, we'll send you a reminder email with all the relevant information and forms.  We'll also try to contact you before the expiry date, if we haven't received a renewal application.  Remember though - it is your responsibility to ensure your licence renewal application is lodged on time. 

If you apply before your licence expires, you can keep selling alcohol while we process your application.

If your licence expires before your application, you must stop selling alcohol immediately and remove all alcohol from display.  A new licence must be applied for and granted.  Once your new licence is issued, you'll be able to display and sell alcohol again.  

If you want to change the conditions of your alcohol licence (for example, changing the hours you're licensed for), you need to make a variation to your licence. If you renew your licence at the same time, you’ll only pay one set of fees

The renewal process

All licence renewal applications  must be publicly notified and displayed in a clearly visible place on or near the premises site.    Your fee category will determine whether one or two public notices are required.   

  • You must submit the completed renewal application.

  • Sign a statement that an approved fire evacuation scheme exists for the premises or that the premises are exempt from having to have an approved scheme.

  • The renewal application will be referred to the Police and Medical Officer of Health.

  • Any person with an interest greater than the public generally may object to your application within 15 working days of the publication of the first public notice. If any objections are received, these will be forwarded to you.

  • Any objections or matters raised in opposition by the public, Police or Medical Officer of Health, may lead to the renewal application being referred for a public hearing in front of the DLC.

Applying for a variation to the conditions of your alcohol licence

You need to apply for a variation if you want to change the conditions of your on-licence, off-licence or club licence.

When to apply

You need to apply for a variation if you want to change:

  • Your licensed hours

  • Your licensed area

  • The type of premises covered by the licence (e.g. From a tavern to a restaurant)

  • The designation of areas within your premises (e.g. Supervised/Restricted areas)

Note: If applying for a variation isn’t urgent, you may want to wait until you next renew your licence. Doing them together means you’ll only pay one set of fees.

Stay up-to-date

Sign up to our newsletter Scuttlebutt and stay up-to-date with the latest news, events and information in the Queenstown Lakes District.