Economic Development Projects
Back in 2015 we prepared an Economic Development Strategy for the district that agreed the goals and priorities.
Three years on, the goals and priorities still hold true and we've been making good progress towards achieving them.
Recent economic development projects include:
- Commissioning The Remote Economy Project, an independently-conducted research survey, to gain a better understanding of those who live in the district but earn their income elsewhere. To view a copy of the findings please click here.
- Commissioning a report on research and development (R&D) opportunities together with New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE). To view a pdf of this report titled ‘Identifying international corporates that could benefit from a Queenstown Lakes base’, please click here.
- Funding Startup Queenstown Lakes – a coalition of entrepreneurs, investors, and residents who are committed to supporting entrepreneurs to grow businesses and offer well paid jobs across the district. To find out more, please head to: www.startupqueenstownlakes.com.
- Running a 'Streamlining small business' trial together with Lake Wanaka Tourism to understand what software small tourism operators use. This project is a collaboration between QLDC and Lake Wanaka Tourism and its impact is being researched by Queenstown Resort College. It will provide useful insights into ways to help these operators streamline their administrative processes.
- Providing funding to Wherewolf as part of the 2018 Economic Development Contestable Fund. This funding enabled Wherewolf to consolidate customer data gathered by 50 tourism operators in the district and the data offers a deeper understanding of demographics and behaviours for visitors.