What is an abandoned vehicle?
A vehicle is considered abandoned when it has been left in a Council controlled area if any of the following four scenarios apply:
- (i) evidence of a vehicle inspection and a licence label affixed to it, but each document has expired by more than 31 days; or
- (ii) evidence of a vehicle inspection affixed to it that has expired by more than 31 days and no licence label affixed to it; or
- (iii) a licence label affixed to it that has expired by more than 31 days and no evidence of vehicle inspection affixed to it; or
- (iv) neither an evidence of vehicle inspection nor a licence label affixed to it.
How do I report an abandoned vehicle?
What happens after I have reported an abandoned vehicle?
- All reports of abandoned vehicles are investigated by us within 24 hours.
- We will assess the vehicle in regards to if it meets the criteria for being abandoned. If it meets the criteria we will place a 48 hour notice on it, warning that it will be removed.
- Following the expiry of the 48 hour notice, the vehicle will be towed.
What happens to the vehicle once it has been towed?
- We will assess the vehicle and try to identify the owner.
- Where appropriate, we will have the owner take responsibility for the vehicle, including any costs incurred.
- Where we cannot locate the owner, the vehicle will be sold or disposed of.