On Monday 4 December parking fees increased across central Queenstown, to be followed by further changes to parking options on 31 March 2018.
Come the end of March, there will no longer be an option for daily or weekly rates, with a maximum 10-hour stay applying to most carparks, nor will there be free all day parking in areas like the Queenstown Gardens and One Mile car parks.
These changes are being implemented to coincide with the recent introduction of a vastly improved Queenstown public transport service. With an all-important $2 fare, the service was launched across the Wakatipu Basin on 20 November 2017. Furthermore, these changes will benefit the bus service by helping to subsidise it and maintain the flat $2 fee, and act as incentive for people to use the bus instead of driving their car into the CBD.
Detailed changes are as follows:
- Daily and weekly rates are being discontinued at Gorge Road, Ballarat Street, Ballarat A, Ballarat B, Recreation Ground and Church Street.
- Parking permits are being discontinued at Ballarat C
- Parking in the Queenstown Gardens carpark to become time restricted - 4hrs max, no overnight parking
- Parking at One Mile carpark to become time restricted - 4hrs max, no overnight parking
- Parking on verges to be prohibited around One Mile and Queenstown Gardens
For more information, click here.