Recycling Centres in Our District
Wakatipu Recycling Centre
Wastebusters Recycling Centre
More info: Visit the Wastebusters Website
Wastebusters is located on the corner of Ballantyne Rd and Riverbank Rd. View on Google maps
The recycling centre opening hours are 9am - 5pm, seven days (closed on Christmas Day, Easter Friday and the morning of ANZAC day).
Wastebusters is a community enterprise which uses any profits to support the community and minimise waste.
You can drop off for recycling:
- household recycling (plastics 1-7, cans, glass bottles, paper and cardboard), $1 charge per recycling crate
- appliances whiteware (sorry, no fridges or freezers), $5 - $15 charge
- electronics (including computers, printers, cell phones), various charges apply
- scrap metal
- polystyrene (this must be clean and white)
- used engine oil and machine lubricating oil - 50c per litre
- used vegetable oil (free collection service for restaurants and take-away bars)
- rechargeable batteries
- compact fluorescent light bulbs (eco light bulbs)
- printer cartridges
- shrink wrap (clean plastic wrap with identified as number 4 plastic)
- reusable glass bottles (Emersons, Green Man, Speights/ABC swappa-crate)
Wastebusters recycle old computers and other electronic equipment including cellphones. A charge applies to cover the cost of safe electronics recycling. Cellphones are free to recycle.
See a a full list of electronics charges on the Wastebusters website.
Please note that CRT televisions can no longer be recycled at either Wanaka or Queenstown centres.
Does the Wanaka Wastebusters Recycling Centre have a re-use shop?
Yes! The Wastebusters ‘re-store’ shop accepts items that are in working order and good condition for resale. Items for sale include second hand goods such as furniture, bedding, clothes, electrical items, books, building materials and sports equipment. They offer a free pick-up service for donations of household goods and furniture, call (03) 443 8606 extension 2.
Wanaka Wastebusters Business and Events Recycling
Wastebusters run a business recycling collections service in Wanaka, and also do the recycling and waste management at events in the Southern Lakes area. Please call (03) 443-8606 x 5 or go to the Wastebusters website to find out more.