Rubbish and Collections
All the rubbish and recycling information you need!
This map shows the rubbish and recycling days for the various areas in the district. Click, hold and drag to move round the map.
For more information, including property and address searches, click here to open Webmaps in a new window.
- Out by 7am! — Your rubbish and recycling need to be out on the kerb before 7am on your rubbish day. Be sure to bring your bin back in after your rubbish has been collected.
- Statutory holidays — Please note that there are no collections on Christmas Day.
Options for collection
Rubbish collection in the Queenstown Lakes District is a user pays service. This means that the cost of the Council-approved blue rubbish bags and residential wheelie bins covers the cost of collection and disposal.
Council-approved blue rubbish bags
Council-approved degradable blue rubbish bags can be purchased from Council offices, supermarkets or transfer stations, there are two available sizes:
- 30 litre, cost $2.70 per bag
- 60 litre, cost $4.10 per bag (also available from Mitre 10 Wanaka)
Council-approved residential wheelie bins
The Council has an agreement with Allwaste to collect rubbish from their residential 120 litre and 240 litre wheelie bins on a weekly basis.
AllWaste is unable to offer 120 litre rubbish wheelie bins to NEW residential customers (or existing 240 litre wheelie bin customers wishing to downsize) in Queenstown and Wanaka due to low stock and upcoming potential changes to residential rubbish collection in the District. The service will continue to be provided for existing customers, with a review to occur once a residential rubbish collection position is settled on.
240 litre wheelie bins will continue to be available to NEW customers.
The annual cost of this service is as follows:
From July 1 2018:
120 litre wheelie bin $260.20 (inclusive GST) per annum (for existing residential 120 litre wheelie bin customers only)*
240 litre wheelie bin $452.30 (inclusive GST) per annum
These charges apply from 1 July 2018 and cover the cost of collection and disposal of rubbish, administration costs, depreciation and maintenance of the wheelie bins.
To order your rubbish wheelie bin:
Please contact All Waste in Queenstown on 03 441 3620 or Wanaka on 03 443 6063.
Wanaka Collection Days
Please place your rubbish bag or wheelie bin out on the kerb by 7am on your rubbish day.
- Wanaka Township South/Southwest of Wanaka-Luggate Highway including the Central Business District.
- Cardrona Valley Road and Cardrona township.
- Mount Aspiring Road to Roy's Peak car park.
- Wanaka township North of Wanaka including Anderson Road, Hedditch Street, Plantation Road and Reece Crescent.
- Aubrey Road from Lakeside Road to Anderson Road.
- Albert Town including roads East of Anderson Road including Aubrey Road from Anderson Road to Albert Town.
- State Highway 6 from Anderson Road to Albert Town Bridge and to Luggate.
- Luggate township and roads between Albert Town and Luggate including Mt Barker Road, Morris Road, Faulks Road, Halliday Road and Maxwell Road.
- State Highway 6 from Albert Town Bridge to Lake Hawea including Dublin Bay Road, Maungawera Road and Domain Road drop off point.
- Lake Hawea Township and Hawea Flat.
Wakatipu Collection Days
Please place your rubbish bag or wheelie bin out on the kerb by 8am on your rubbish day.
- All of Arrowtown
- Lake Hayes and State Highway 6 back to the Events Centre. This includes Tucker Beach Road and Quail Rise
- Malaghans Road from Dalefield Road to Arrowtown
- Hunter Road from Malaghans Road to Mooney Road. This includes a collection point at the end of Mooney Road
- McDonnell Road
- Gibbston Valley
- Centennial Avenue from Arrowtown to State Highway 6
- Rural collection point at the base of the Crown Range Road.
- All of Kelvin Heights
- All of Frankton.
- Frankton Road from Pounamu Apartments/Spinnaker Bay to the Events Centre
- All of Central Queenstown to Pounamu Apartments / Spinnaker Bay.
- All of Fernhill and Sunshine Bay.
- All of Arthur’s Point.
- Malaghans Road from Arthur’s Point to and including Dalefield Road.
- Littles Road to Fitzpatrick Road.
- Domain Road, Speargrass Flat Road, Hogans Gully Road and Lower Shotover Road, including both ends of Slopehill Road.
- Morven Ferry Road and Arrow Junction Road.
- Rural collection point on the corner of Lower Shotover Road and Spence Road.
- Lake Hayes Estate.
- Shotover Country
- All of Kingston.
- All of Glenorchy.