QLDC are responsible for managing, improving and maintaining the local transport network. This includes:
- Local roads
- Walking and cycling routes
- Parking management and enforcement
- Bus stops
The following networks are managed by other agencies:
- State Highways (managed by the New Zealand Transport Agency, NZTA)
- Public transport services (managed by Otago Regional Council, ORC)
Transport Updates and Road Conditions
QLDC provides information on the status of roads through various channels. Updates are also broadcast on local radio stations.
Weather Forecast (MetService)
- Chains should always be carried during the winter on the Crown Range and other alpine roads
- Road reports may not be sent out if there is an extended period of fine weather
- Road reports provide a general overview of road conditions only. Conditions can change rapidly and it is not possible to list every hazard. Drivers should exercise common sense and drive cautiously on a daily basis.
Driving in New Zealand for the first time?
See our Driving in New Zealand page and check out the quick guides below:
- 简体中文 (Simplified Chinese)
- 繁體中文 (Traditional Chinese)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- ไทย (Thai)
- العربية (Arabic)
- All languages