Carpooling has many benefits - you save on petrol, parking hassles, car maintenance, and you help reduce vehicle emissions, air pollution and congestion.
As part of the Queenstown Town Centre Transport Strategy, QLDC is committed to addressing issues of congestion and parking availability within the Queenstown CBD.
QLDC currently has 29 dedicated free carpooling car parks across the Ballarat and Boundary St Carparks in the Queenstown CBD. These are set aside for use by people who are permit holders in the QLDC carpooling scheme.
100 permits were made available to members of the public early last year, due to some applicants taking several months to collect their permits we have been able to make some permits available. The remaining permits are available on a first come, first served basis and allow permit holders to park free in designated carparks if they are travelling with two other permit holders.
How it works
In order to qualify for a carpooling permit you must live outside the Queenstown carpooling exclusion zone (See map below) and hold a valid New Zealand Drivers Licence.
To apply for a carpooling permit please complete the below form and drop it into a Council office along with proof of your address (such as a utilities bill or bank statement) and your New Zealand Drivers Licence.
QLDC Carpooling application form [PDF 190KB]
Successful applicants will be contacted by QLDC with an acceptance letter and they may then go to QLDC’s Gorge Road Customer Service desk to pick up their new permit for just a $10 fee.
All permit holders will be given a list with the details of everyone else in the scheme (email address, phone number and area – it will be up to permit holders to arrange rides amongst themselves.)
- Permit holders may park in the allocated spaces in Boundary and Ballarat St Car Parks only within the allotted times. Holding a permit does not guarantee a space.
- A minimum of 3 permits must be clearly displayed at all times in the vehicle of the persons using the vehicle that day.
- Permits will only be granted to persons living outside Queenstown (see figure 1 below).
- Permits will only be issued to persons of legal driving age who are holders of valid New Zealand driving licences. This must be presented at the time of application along with proof of address.
- Permits are non-transferable.
- Permits are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
- Any person found not adhering to the above rules will forfeit their permit and infringement notices may be issued.
- The charge for each permit is $10.00 and is payable for each permit or subsequent replacement.
- Cars will be allowed to park in a carpooling space for up to 10 hours in a 24 hour period.
Ballarat Street Carpark
Boundary Street Carpark
In order to qualify for a carpooling permit you must live outside the below Queenstown carpooling exclusion zone.
The exclusion zone includes the Queenstown side of the below intersections:
- Lake Wakatipu Ride, Marina Drive and Frankton Rd Intersection
- Gorge Rd and Industrial Place Intersection
- Glenorchy Queenstown Rd and Fernhill Rd Intersection
New Zealand Transport Agency has produced some helpful resources about setting up a carpool.
- Guidelines for setting up a carpooling system at your workplace (2.8MB)
- Carpooling info sheet (1.1MB)