How to vote

Make your voice heard and use your vote this election. To find out more about how to vote please see below

I am a resident of the Queenstown Lakes District:

You can enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
  • have lived at your current address for more than 1 month.

If you have already registered to be on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. If you have recently moved, make sure you check and update your details. 

You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.

Check your details:

To check your enrolment details, please visit:

I am a Queenstown Lakes District ratepayer but live somewhere else:

If you live in one area and pay rates on a property in another then you may qualify to enrol as a ratepayer elector.  The Electoral Roll for the 2019 local elections closed in August, but we are still accepting enrolments as ratepayer electors although you will now be issued with a Special Vote.  Please complete and return this enrolment form to the Electoral Officer, making sure that you indicate clearly the address to which the Electoral Officer should send your Special Vote. 

Special Voting:

Special votes are available during the three-week voting period (20 September 2019 - 12 October 2019) where electors:

  • names do not appear on the final electoral roll, but who qualify
  • did not receive a voting document
  • spoil or damage a voting document previously posted to them
  • names appear on the unpublished electoral roll.

Special votes can be made in person at the Queenstown Office at 10 Gorge Road or the Wanaka Office at 47 Ardmore Street. You will be asked to complete a statutory declaration which details why you need to cast a special vote.

Postal Voting:

The election is being conducted by postal vote and if you are on the Electoral Roll you will receive your voting paper by 25 September.  It will include a postage paid return envelope and you must post it in time to reach the Electoral Officer by 12.00pm on Saturday 12 October 2019.  Voting papers may also be delivered to the Council Offices at 10 Gorge Road, Queenstown or 47 Ardmore Street, Wanaka.  

Don't know where you can post your vote?  Click here to see where the postal boxes are in your area.