Voting FAQs

  • Voting is entirely your choice, but by voting you are adding your voice into the mix. It also means it is more likely that there will be elected members in office that align with your values and ideas that you have for our district.

  • To check your enrolment status please visit:

    • If you are enrolled, you will receive a confirmation of enrolment letter in July.
    • If you are not enrolled, please collect an orange enrolment form from the QLDC offices - either 10 Gorge Road, Queenstown or 47 Ardmore Street, Wānaka. 
    • If you need to update your details, you will need to do this through your RealMe login or by calling the Electoral Commission on 0800 36 76 56
  • You are qualified to enrol and vote if:

    • you are 18 years or older AND
    • you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident AND
    • you have lived in Aotearoa New Zealand for one year or more continuously at some point.

    permanent resident is someone who is entitled to live indefinitely in Aotearoa New Zealand.

    You cannot enrol and vote if you are a:

    • New Zealand citizen who has not been in Aotearoa New Zealand within the last three years; or
    • permanent resident of Aotearoa New Zealand who has not been in Aotearoa New Zealand within the last 12 months.

    There are a few exceptions to this (e.g. public servants or members of the Defence Force who are on duty outside Aotearoa New Zealand, as well as members of their families).

    If you are unsure, please call the Electoral Commission on 0800 36 76 56.

  • Voting takes place by postal voting for local body elections. If you are registered on the New Zealand Electoral Roll, voting papers will be sent to your registered address approximately four weeks ahead of the last day of voting. 

  • Currently there is not legislative provision for online voting (and this is driven by Central Government). However, we are aware that this is something that needs to be addressed going forward.

  • Special votes are available during the three-week voting period where electors:

    • names do not appear on the final electoral roll, but who qualify
    • did not receive a voting document
    • spoil or damage a voting document previously posted to them
    • names appear on the unpublished electoral roll.

    Special votes can be made in person at the Queenstown Office at 10 Gorge Road or the Wānaka Office at 47 Ardmore Street. You will be asked to complete a statutory declaration which details why you need to cast a special vote.

  • If you are unable to fill in the enrolment form, a support person can help you, or fill in the form on your behalf.

    For more details on this please visit:

  • No, you can only vote once.

  • If you are overseas during this period, there unfortunately are limited options available for voting. 

    The law does not permit the transmission of voting papers electronically and local government voting papers are not held in New Zealand embassies overseas. 

    Accordingly, the only way for a voting paper to be transmitted is via post. 

    If you know you will be overseas during the voting period, you can provide the Electoral Officer for an address where you will be in residence about one week after the voting period starts.  A special vote will be sent to this address via air mail but it is the voter’s responsibility to ensure the voting paper is mailed back in time to reach the Electoral Officer by the final day of the voting period. 

  • No.  By law, the Electoral Officer cannot issue a voting paper before the official opening day of voting.

  • Yes. If you live in one area and pay rates on a property in another then you may qualify to enrol on the ratepayer electoral roll.  If you wish to enrol as a ratepayer elector please contact the QLDC Electoral Officer via:

  • Yes. Everyone is entitled to a vote whether you are a candidate or not. 

  • Please report this to QLDC's Electoral Officer:

    TEL 03441 0499 

  • A local authority may pay a childcare allowance, in accordance with subclauses (2) and (3) of the Local Government Members (2019/20) Determination 2019, to an eligible member as a contribution towards expenses incurred by the member for childcare provided while the member is engaged on local authority business.

  • You can go to the Council offices at 10 Gorge Road, Queenstown or 47 Ardmore Street, Wānaka and be issued with a special vote.  This requires voters to complete a statutory declaration explaining why they are seeking a special vote, but it is not a complicated process.  Voters can either vote when they are completing the process in the office or take the papers away and submit them later. 

    If you do not live in the district and wish to make a special vote, you can telephone the Electoral Officer (03 441 0499) and ask for a special voting paper to be sent to you.  As all voting materials must be originals, voting papers have to be posted so please bear this in mind when applying for a special vote. 


Stay up-to-date

Sign up to our newsletter Scuttlebutt and stay up-to-date with the latest news, events and information in the Queenstown Lakes District.