Frankton Marina Development
The development of Frankton Marina is expected to be completed in November 2019 and will be a welcome addition to the waterfront.
Lakes Marina Projects (LMP) has been carrying out the marina development in stages since November 2017. When completed, the marina will house 187 floating berths, 17 floating sheds, four other structures, a breakwater and a 156-space car park.
The background to the project:
The development of Frankton marina at Sugar Lane, Frankton has been in the pipeline for the last decade.
After cancelling an agreement with Queenstown Marina Developments in August 2011, the Frankton Marina Working Party was established to oversee the project. The working party included former Councillors Aoake and Gazzard, and Community Representatives Mike Coburn, Duncan Field and Steven Kirk.
In February 2012, QLDC sought expressions of interest for a suitably experienced developer partner.
Based on the recommendation from the Frankton Marina Working Party, Council appointed Lakes Marina Projects (LMP) as preferred developer in December 2012.
Following conditions of the Development and Lease Agreement and Variation Agreement being met, the development began on 27 November 2017.
Lakes Marine Projects website:
- Notification of Construction Commencement - Queenstown Marina (LMP, 27 November 2017)
- Frankton Marina (QLDC, 23 January 2015)
- Consents lodged for new marina (QLDC, 31 January 2014)
- Agreement for Frankton Marina (QLDC, 30 November 2010)
- Council seeking marina developer (QLDC, 9 September 2009)
- Marina proposal to progress (QLDC, 17 December 2004)
Working Party Brief: