Proposed Traffic and Parking Bylaw 2018
Have your say on a proposed new bylaw for Traffic and Parking. A new bylaw has been proposed in order to replace the existing bylaw and provide better clarity and certainty for regulation and compliance.
A bylaw is still required to address traffic and parking issues in the district - it allows the Council to set rules for parking and vehicle use of roads and public places under Council’s control. It also addresses other traffic and parking issues which are not covered under the Land Transport Act, Local Government Acts or Road User Rules.
The key issues that the proposed new bylaw will address are the ability to:
- establish residents’ parking areas or zones
- prevent parking on grass verges
- establish a permitting system for small passenger service vehicle parking; and
- create special vehicle lanes (e.g. bus lanes).
Read the draft bylaw in full or the summary statement of proposal below:
Tell us what you think
We'd love to hear your thoughts on the proposed Traffic and Parking bylaw. If you would like to make a submission, please click here to complete the online form.
Submissions close Friday 12 October at 5:00pm.
Public hearings will be held in late October (date to be confirmed).
Please indicate on your submission if you’d like to speak at a hearing and we’ll get in touch with you to finalise a time.
Following the public hearings, the Council will:
- consider the outcome of the consultation process on 13 December
- provide the outcome to Ministry of Transport on 14 December; and
- give public notice of the final decision on 22 December.
Want more information?
If you'd like to know more, please email Polly Lambert at firstname.lastname@example.org.