- Join now - Queenstown
- Join now - Wanaka
- Plan Your Visit
- Gym & Group Fitness
- Responsible Camping in the Queenstown Lakes District
- Parks and Walkways
- Lakes and Boating
- Mountain Biking
- Sports Leagues
- Kids' Recreation
- Sport & Rec: Covid-19 info
Responsible Camping - QLDC
Responsible Camping is all about caring for our spectacular environment as much as we do.Certified Self-Contained Vehicles Campground Locations Campermate Responsible Camping Tips Campervan Parking Dump Stations
Responsible Campers leave no trace and help keep our communities and natural environment free from pollution and waste!
The Queenstown Lakes District allows Responsible Camping in certified self-contained vehicles only. Service Hubs in Frankton and Wānaka are open for those with a certified self-contained vehicle from mid November 2019 through to March 2020.
What is certified self-contained?
A self-contained vehicle must meet the Caravan Self Containment standard. You’ll need to be able to live in the vehicle for three days without getting more water or dumping waste. It must have:
- A toilet
- Fresh water storage
- Waste water storage
- A rubbish bin with a lid
A self-containment certificate warrant card MUST be displayed at all times.
For more information on how to be self-contained, head to:
Where can I camp?
There are many places you can camp, ranging from fully serviced holiday parks to DOC (Department of Conservation) campsites.
Visit CamperMate.co.nz or download the free app for full details.
- Top 10 Holiday Park | 70 Arthurs Point, Queenstown
- Qbox Motorhome Camp | 21 Bowen Street
- Lakeview Holiday Park | 4 Cemetery Road, Central Queenstown
- Queenstown Holiday Park Creeksyde | 54 Robins Road, Central Queenstown
- Twelve Mile Delta Conservation Campsite | Queenstown-Glenorchy Road, Mt Creighton
- Moke Lake Conservation Campsite | Moke Lake Road
- Camp Glenorchy/Mrs Woolly’s Campground | 60 Oban Street, Glenorchy, Queenstown
- Lake Sylvan Conservation Campsite
- Kinloch Conservation Campsite | 876 Kinlock Road, Glenorchy
- Glendhu Bay Motor Camp | 1127 Mt Aspiring Road, Glendhu Bay, Wānaka
- Lake Outlet Holiday Park | 197 Outlet Road, Wānaka
- Wanaka Kiwi Holiday Park & Motels | 263 Studholme Road North, Wānaka
- Mt Aspiring Holiday Park | 217 Wanaka-Mt Aspiring Road, Wānaka
- Wanaka Lakeview Holiday Park | 212 Brownston Street, Wānaka
- Albert Town Campground | Albert Town, Wānaka
- Albion Cricket Club Camping Ground | Luggate Domain
- Lake Hāwea Holiday Park | State Highway 6, Lake Hāwea, Wānaka
- Lake Hāwea Hotel Campervan Park | 1 Capell Ave, Lake Wānaka
- Kidds Bush Reserve Conservation Campsite | Meads Road, Hunter Valley
- Makarora Country Cafe
- Cameron Flat Conservation Campsite | Haast Pass-Makarora Road, Makarora
- Pleasant Flat Conservation Campsite | 4889 Haast Pass-Makarora Road, Makarora
- Boundary Creek Reserve Conservation Campsite | Makarora-Lake Hawea Road, Makarora
- Wonderland Lodge | 5944 Haast Pass-Makarora Road, Makarora
Download the CamperMate App
We've teamed up with CamperMate to ensure all information on the map is correct and up to date for visitors! Download their free app on iOS or Android to find dedicated responsible camping sites and service hubs online.
Tips on how to be a Responsible Camper
- Ensure your vehicle is certified self-contained
- Always use the provided toilets (or your own)
- Use a designated wastewater dump station for your sewage sink water
- Use your own facilities for bathing, washing, and toileting to keep our environment clean and pollution free
- Dispose of your rubbish and recycling in the bins provided or at the transfer stations
- Always park in the areas specifically designated for your type of vehicles
For your convenience, there are 33 dedicated car parks for large campervans in the Boundary Street Carpark, Queenstown. These are for large campervans, generally described as motorhomes, which often struggle to fit into a normal car park.
Large campervans are prohibited from parking in Queenstown CBD and could face an infringement of $40-$60 if parked incorrectly.
Smaller campervans such as Jucy or Wicked Campervans are permitted to park in the CBD as they are of similar size to an ordinary car.
Keep an eye out for the Responsible Camping Ambassadors this summer, located at the Responsible Service Hubs and Campsites. They are there to help you!
Dump Station Locations
- BP Service Station, Frankton Road, State Highway 6, Queenstown
- Lakeview Holiday Park, 6 Cemetery Road, Central Queenstown
- Arrowtown – Corner of Wiltshire Street and Ramshaw Lane
- Wānaka Showgrounds, corner of Brownston and McDougall Street, Wānaka