- Home >
- Your Council
The Queenstown Lakes District Council has the important job of making decisions alongside and on behalf of the people living in this district.
Specifically, we are responsible for:
- Community well-being and development.
- Environmental health and safety. (building control, civil defence, and environmental health)
- Managing infrastructure. (roading and transport, sewerage, water and stormwater)
- Facilitating recreation and culture.
- Resource management including land use planning and development control.
The Council must follow the rules set out in the Local Government Act 2002. In particular, the Council has to:
- Provide directly, or on behalf of Central Government, adequate, equitable and appropriate services and facilities for the entire community.
- Ensure that the services provided are managed efficiently and effectively.
- Lead the community.
- Promote cultural diversity through the management of its functions.
- Manage, protect, develop, restore, enhance and conserve the environment.
- Manage and be accountable for community assets.
- Involve the community, councillors, staff and all interested people in local government processes.
- Raise funds for the benefit of the community, by way of rates on property, fees and licenses, investments, loans and grants.
- Keep the community informed about Council activities.
- Remain neutral while carrying out its functions.
- Act as a responsible employer.
Local Governance Statement
The Council has to adopt a Local Governance Statement every 3 years. The statement outlines:
- How the Council engages with the community
- How decisions are made
- How residents can influence these processes.
Importantly, the statement promotes local democracy by providing the community with information on the different ways they can influence local democratic processes.
Companies and Contractors
The Council has a Council Controlled Trading Organisation.
Queenstown Airport Corporation
The Queenstown Airport Corporation is responsible for the following activities:
- Managing the assets and operations of the Queenstown Airport.
- Promoting Queenstown’s commercial and non-commercial air travel.
- Increasing the usage of airport facilities.
- Operating the airport as a successful business.
Terminal Building, Queenstown Airport
Phone: 03 450 9031
Fax: 03 442 3515
Queenstown Airport Corporation
P O Box 64
Queenstown Airport website: http://www.queenstownairport.co.nz
Dunstan Sprayers — Plant and animal pest control
Downer New Zealand Ltd. — Road maintenance
Fulton Hogan — Lake Hayes water services operations and maintenance contractor
Asplundh — Parks and reserve maintenance and tree services
Veolia Water — Water services (water, stormwater and wastewater) operations and maintenance contractor
Southern Monitoring Services — Harbourmaster
Delta Utility Services Limited — Streetlight maintenance
City Cleaning Service Limited — Cleaning contractor
APL Limited — Property Services
Please note: Queenstown Lakes District Council does not supply electricity services. If you wish to report a power fault please contact your electricity retailer.
- Trust Power — 0800 87 87 87
- Contact Energy — 0800 80 90 00
- Meridian Energy — 0800 496 496
- Mercury Energy — 0800 10 18 10