Have your say on alcohol licence applications

Tukua ō whakaaro mō ngā tono raihana waipiro

There are a number of ways you can input into the alcohol licensing process.  

  • Applications to sell alcohol must be publicly advertised to notify the community.

    From 1 September 2020 the public notices for all applications in the Queenstown Lakes District and will be published online here

    A notice will also be placed at the principal entrance of the intended business, which will be visible from the outside.

  • If you want to object to an alcohol licence application, you must have a 'greater interest' than the general public.

    What does 'greater interest' mean? 

    You have 'greater interest' if you are likely to be more affected by the licence than most other people. For example, if you live in the same street as the proposed licensed premises you could be in a position of greater interest, compared with someone who lives further away and has more general concerns. 

    Examples of what you can object to

    • suitability of the applicant

    • days and hours alcohol is proposed to be sold

    • days and hours the club premises will be used for club activities

    • proposed designation of the premises (whether minors will be allowed on the premises)

    • lack of enforcement for the minimum age requirements

    • lack of non-alcoholic refreshments and/or availability of food

    • the sale and supply of goods and services other than alcohol or food

    • it is considered that the application would contribute to harm in the community and is outside the object of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012

    • the design and layout of any proposed premises

    • whether the “amenity and good order of the locality” would be reduced by more than a minor extent

    • whether the “amenity and good order of the locality” is already badly impacted by existing alcohol licences

    • whether the applicant has capable, well-trained staff and good systems in place to meet their responsibilities when supplying alcohol

    How to object

    Your objection must be in writing and sent to  the Council within 15 working days after the date of the first public notice.   

    Send objections to: 

    Email: services@qldc.govt.nz 

    Attn: Secretary of the District Licensing Committee
    Alcohol Licence Objection
    Queenstown Lakes District Council 
    Private Bag 50072
    Queenstown 9348

  • A District Licensing Committee hearing is a legal process similar to a court hearing. 

    It is a public hearing so anyone can attend. If you have lodged an objection to an application, you will have the opportunity to speak in front of the committee.  

    Hearing dates are advertised as part of our monthly meeting schedule.   

    Monthly Meeting Schedule.

  • Licensed premises are required to serve alcohol responsibly at all times and to follow good host responsibility practices.

    Please contact us if you have any concerns about a licensed premises. 

    Phone 03 441 0499 (Queenstown) or 03 443 0024 (Wānaka) or email services@qldc.govt.nz

    You'll need to provide the following information: 

    • your name

    • your contact phone number

    • the best time for us to contact you

    • name of the licensed premises

    • address of the premises

    • your concerns (provide as many details as possible, including the date and time of any specific incidents)


Stay up-to-date

Sign up to our newsletter Scuttlebutt and stay up-to-date with the latest news, events & information in the Queenstown Lakes District.