The Council manages 10 out of the 11 cemeteries in the Queenstown Lakes District.
The Council holds information and burial records for the following cemeteries:
- Albert Town Cemetery
- Arrowtown Cemetery
- Cardrona Cemetery
- Frankton Cemetery
- Glenorchy Cemetery
- Kingston Cemetery
- Makarora Cemetery
- Queenstown Cemetery
- Skippers Point Cemetery
- Wanaka Cemetery
For information and burial records for the Lake Hawea Cemetery contact: Donald Urquhart 03 443 1426.
- Arrowtown Cemetery Overview (425KB)
- Arrowtown Cemetery - Old Area (1.3MB)
- Arrowtown Cemetery - New Upper (1.45MB)
- Arrowtown Cemetery - New Lower (1.14MB)
- Cardrona Cemetery (198KB)
- Frankton Cemetery (1.1MB)
- Glenorchy Cemetery (359KB)
- Hawea Cemetery (665KB)
- Makarora Cemetery (163KB)
- Queenstown Cemetery Overview (392KB)
- Queenstown Cemetery Map (814KB)
- Queenstown Cemetery New Area (401KB)
- Skippers Point Cemetery (109KB)
- Wanaka Cemetery (1.47MB)
The Kingston and Albert Town cemetery maps are unavailable.
Note: Pembroke Cemetery is closed and interments are no longer allowed. The western corner of the Wanaka Cemetery contains a number of early graves which represents the older heritage of Pembroke (as Wanaka was formerly called). The Wanaka Cemetery was formally known as the ‘Pembroke Cemetery’.
Cemeteries Documents and Application Forms
The Cemeteries Handbook provides guidelines to ensure a consistent and reliable provision of cemetery services in the District.
- Cemeteries Handbook (520 KB)
- Cemeteries Bylaw 2017 (362 KB)
- Application for Burial or Ash Interment (259KB)
- Application for Adjacent Plot Purchase (145KB)
- Authority to Open a Plot (172KB)
Headstones, Plaques and Monuments
A permit must be obtained for any monumental work to be carried out in any cemetery in the Queenstown Lakes District.
· Queenstown Cemetery Overview
· Queenstown Cemetery Map
· Queenstown Cemetery New Area