At orange, our offices are open for those who need to visit us in person. We also have a wide range of services available online or via the phone – using these will help reduce the risk and keep each other safe. Check out our COVID-19 response page for more details.

Snow and ice are affecting a number of roads across the district.  Get the latest updates on our social media channels: or     Stay safe out there.  

Taking over a licensed business (temporary authority)

If you're buying an established business that sells alcohol, you need a temporary authority to continue selling alcohol while you apply for a new on-licence or off-licence.

When to apply

A temporary authority allows a new owner to operate off the existing licence conditions issued for the premises for up to 3 months.

You must ensure that there are at least two certified duty managers employed at the premises and listed on the temporary authority form.  

You will need to apply for a new licence in your name (or company name) within this 3 month period.

Don't forget

Don't forget to  transfer the food premises registration at the same time.

If the premises holds an on and an off-licence, you'll need to lodge two separate temporary authority applications and pay two fees.  This is because each licence must have its own temporary authority.  

Need help?

If you have any questions during the process, you can meet with an alcohol licensing inspector for help or advice – it's free.

Phone the alcohol licensing inspector on 03 441 0499 (Queenstown) or 03 443 0024 (Wanaka).

Stay up-to-date

Sign up to our newsletter Scuttlebutt and stay up-to-date with the latest news, events & information in the Queenstown Lakes District.