Responsible Camping in the Queenstown Lakes District
Responsible Camping is all about caring for our spectacular environment as much as we do.
Responsible Campers leave no trace and help keep our communities and natural environment free from pollution and waste!
The Queenstown Lakes District allows Responsible Camping in Certified Self-Contained Vehicles only. We have provided dedicated areas and facilities for those with a certified self-contained vehicle.
What is certified self-contained?
A self-contained vehicle must meet the Caravan Self Containment standard. You’ll need to be able to live in it for three days without getting more water or dumping waste. It must have:
- A toilet
- Fresh water storage
- Waste water storage
- A rubbish bin with a lid
A self-containment certificate warrant card MUST be displayed at all times.
Download the Campermate App!
QLDC & CamperMate have a joint venture to ensure all information on the map is correct and up to date for visitors! Download their free app on apple or android to find dedicated responsible camping sites and service hubs online.
Avoid A fine!
To avoid any unwanted infringement, please familiarise yourself with the no camping zones on this map. This map will also provide useful information on dump stations, refuse stations, DOC campsites & other facilities.
No Camping Zone’s are town centres and residential areas within the Queenstown Lakes District. If found camping in a No Camping Zone a fine of $200.00 NZD will be issued. Your vehicle is also at risk of wheel clamping which is an additional $200.00 NZD infringement.
Keep an eye out for signage located around the district to avoid any unwanted fines!
Tips on how to be a Responsible Camper!
- Ensure your vehicle is certified self-contained
- Always use the provided toilets (or your own)
- Use a designated wastewater dump station for your sewage sink water
- Use your own facilities for bathing, washing, and toileting to keep our environment clean and pollution free
- Dispose of your rubbish and recycling in the bins provided or at the transfer stations
- Always park in the areas specifically designated for your type of vehicles
I’m not certified self-contained, where can I camp?
If you are not travelling in a certified self-contained vehicle you will need to stay in a camping ground. These locations are provided in the map found here.
- Lake View Holiday Park | Brecon Street, Central Queenstown
- Queenstown Top 10 Holiday Park | 70 Arthurs Point, Queenstown
- Queenstown Holiday Park Creeksyde | 54 Robins Road, Central Queenstown
- Frankton Motor Camp | Stewart Street, Frankton, Queenstown
- Arrowtown Holiday Park | 12 Centennial Avenue, Arrowtown, Queenstown
- Mrs Woolly’s Campground | 60 Oban Street, Glenorchy, Queenstown
- Wanaka Lakeview Holiday Park | 212 Brownston Street, Wanaka
- Albert Town Campground | Albert Town, Wanaka
- Lake Outlet Holiday Park | 197 Outlet Road, Wanaka
- Mt Aspiring Holiday Park | 217 Wanaka – Mt Aspiring Road, Wanaka
- Glendhu Bay Motor Camp | 1127 Mt Aspiring Road, Glendhu Bay, Wanaka
- Wanaka Kiwi Holiday Park & Motels | 263 Studholme Road North, Wanaka
- Lake Hawea Holiday Park | State Highway 6, Lake Hawea, Wanaka
- Want to explore nature? Find a campsite with Department of Conservation www.doc.govt.nz/campsites
For your convenience, there are 33 dedicated car parks for large campervans in the Boundary Street Carpark. These are for large campervans, generally described as motorhomes, which often struggle to fit into a normal car park.
Large campervans are prohibited from parking in Queenstown CBD and could face an infringement of $40-60.00 if parked incorrectly.
Smaller campervans such as Jucy or Wicked Campervans are permitted to park in the CBD as they are of similar size to an ordinary car.
Keep an eye out for the Responsible Camping Ambassadors located at the Responsible Service Hubs & Campsites. They are there to help you!
Dump Station Locations
- BP Service Station, Frankton Road, State Highway 6, Queenstown
- Lakeview Holiday Park, 6 Cemetery Road, Central Queenstown
- Arrowtown – Corner of Wiltshire Street and Ramshaw Lane
- Wanaka Showgrounds, corner of Brownston and McDougall Street, Wanaka