- Your Council
- Official Information (LGOIMA)
- Public Notices
- Meetings & Committees
- Our Vision & Mission
- Major Projects
- Elected Members
- Media Centre
- Council Documents
- District Plan
Wānaka Lakefront Development Plan
Te Mahere Whakaahu mō te takutai o Wānaka
Creating fresh open spaces and people-friendly places on the lakefront.
Wānaka's lakefront is one of the Upper Clutha community's most treasured assets, integral to both local and visitor experiences in town and an ever-increasingly popular place to be. Following the completion of the Wānaka Lakefront Reserves Management Plan (2014), a three month consultation period was held in 2016 and produced the Wānaka Lakefront Development Plan which was consulted on in 2015/2016.
To provide continuous pedestrian access – making strong connections with the town centre, reducing vehicle use in the town centre, hosting a range of activities and enhancing the ecology throughout, while enhancing the visibility of Kāi Tahu through lakefront design, reflecting the importance of the lake to mana whenua, the Wānaka community and to visitors.
A Staged Approach
The Wānaka Lakefront Development Plan is split into five stages:
- Mt Aspiring Road Carpark (completed December 2018)
- South Beach (paused to allow for alignment with parking decisions made through the Wānaka Town Centre Masterplan)
- Lakeside (concept design underway)
- Main Beach (in conjunction with the Wānaka Town Centre Masterplan)
- North Carpark
Four Big Moves
The community feedback shaped four 'big moves'. Every stage and project within the Lakefront Development Plan will be designed with the four big moves in mind:
- Restore and develop Ecology through ecological enhancements and native revegetation planting.
- Provide continuous Access with a pedestrian/cycleway promenade around the lakefront.
- Improve Landuse with lakefront linear parks and precincts.
- Provide a range of Facilities.