Wanaka Lakefront Development Plan
The Wānaka Lakefront Development Plan is underway! Check in on this page regularly for the latest updates on what's happening next, key features and completion dates.
Wānaka's lakefront is one of the community's most treasured assets, integral to both local and visitor experiences in the town and an ever-increasingly popular place to be. Following the completion of the Wānaka Lakefront Reserves Management Plan (2014), a three month consultation period was held in 2016 and produced the Wānaka Lakefront Development Plan was consulted on in 2015/2016.
The community feedback shaped four 'big moves'. Every stage and project within the Lakefront Development Plan will be designed with the four big moves in mind:
- Restore and develop ecology
- Provide continuous access
- Improve landuse
- Provide a range of facilities
A staged approach
The Wānaka Lakefront Development Plan is split into five stages:
- Mt Aspiring Road Carpark (complete December 2018)
- South Beach (paused to allow for alignment with parking decisions made through the Wānaka Town Centre Masterplan))
- Lakeside (Concept Design underway)
- Main Beach (in conjunction with the Wānaka Town Centre Masterplan)
- North Carpark
Staged Implementation Plan
Mt Aspiring Road Carpark
Work on Mt Aspiring Road Carpark began Monday 8 October with completion on 20 December 2018, in time for Christmas.
Stage Two of the Wānaka Lakefront Development Plan along South Beach is paused until further notice. For more on this click here.
Feedback on a Concept Plan for Stage Three: Lakeside closed on Sunday 18 August at 5.00pm.